POP's ORIGINAL COLTON MOTOR EXPRESS

This is my dad, Harvey, and his old, [near new then] K-B 10 International Semi. The original 'Colton Motor Express' He hauled grain with it in the mid-west. Load up in South Dakota, go south till he could make a profit on the grain, then sell it. Buy something there, and head back north. same old, same old.

You can see my Dad was pretty road savy, He was a hell of a 'boondocker'. Slept most of the time on top of the load of grain, [weather permitting] Kept clean, well, sort of, and did personal grooming in public restrooms. He did lots and lots of 18 hour days. The only log book he had was his wallet!

Note he had the front bulk-head on his trailer off and laid horizontally when running empty for lower wind resistance. [Can you imagine that? Pop never cracked 45 MPH in his life!] Note the fog lights and big front signals on the front bumper. Those 'white' looking tires were from running on gravel roads. You see, my dad always took the shortest distance between 2 points. "Take the diagonal, Son"

I am mom and pop's 6th and last child. Hence my rig's name, #6 Here! I imagine I was 5-6 years old when this pix was taken. I am now 60. Pop lived to be 93. Mom died at 86. Wonderful parents. Still miss them lots.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?